Often abbreviated as CS, cable select is a disk drive jumper setting that allows a cable select compatible cable to determine what drive is the master and slave based on where the drives are connected to the cable. For cable select to work, an IDE/EIDE drive must have its jumpers set to CS and be using a cable that supports cable select.
Users can identify if the flat ribbon cable supports cable select by examining the cable for any of the below characteristics.
- Cable is an 80-wire with 40-pin connector UltraATA cable.
- Cable has master and slave printed on the cable or on the cable connectors.
Tip: If a drive is not detected while using cable select, try setting one drive to Master and the other to Slave, instead of using cable select. If after changing the jumpers, the drive is still not detected, it's likely a bad drive.
- Installing a PC IDE/EIDE hard drive.
- Computer CD-ROM and disc drive help and support.
- Computer hard drive help and support.