Alternatively referred to as the computer case and sometimes referred to as the system unit or base unit, the chassis is the housing that helps protect and organize all the components that make up your computer. In the picture to the right, is an empty computer chassis.
Why do we need a computer case?
Most people overlook the computer case as just a box, but it does provide the below important features.
- Structure - The case is what holds everything together in a compact and organized fashion.
- Protection - Without the case, each of the sensitive components within the computer would be vulnerable to dirt, foreign objects, kids, animals, as well as electrical interference (EMI / RFI).
- Cooling - The case helps keep the air properly flowing over all components, which keeps everything cool and running properly.
- Noise - Many computers and components have fans that generate noise. Having those components within a confined case reduces the overall noise.
- Aesthetics - Although some may disagree, most people would rather look at the case instead of all the circuit boards, wires, and all the components of a computer.
Components found within a chassis
- Expansion card
- Heatsink and Fans
- Internal drives (e.g. hard drive, CD drive)
- Memory (RAM)
- Power supply (PSU)
- Processor (CPU)
Tip: See our what does the inside of a computer look like page for a visual example of all above components.
Today, there is a wide variety of computer case colors, below is a listing of popular colors as well as a brief description on each color if needed.
Black - Standard black case.
Urban White - Offset white. Most desktop computers and computer hardware are this color.
White - White or very light color case.
In addition to the above standard colors, there are computer manufacturers and case manufacturers who also have blue, orange, pink, red, silver, and yellow. As well as a wide range of available colors, there are also translucent cases that have a semi clear color look into the case.
- How do I open my computer case?
- Lising of computer case manufacturers.
- Computer chassis help and support.