1. Common term used to describe a desktop computer.
3. Desktops is a Windows Sysinternals utility to create up to four virtual desktops and to use a tray interface.
4. When referring to an operating system or GUI, the Desktop is a system of organization of icons on a screen. The Microsoft Windows Desktop was first introduced with Microsoft Windows 95 and has been included with all versions of Windows since then. Below is a basic example of the Microsoft Windows Desktop.
What icons and items are found on the Windows Desktop?
Some of the most common icons on the Desktop include the My Computer icon, Recycle Bin, your Internet browser icon (e.g. Internet Explorer), and My Documents. On the Windows Desktop, you can also have access to the Windows Start Menu through the Start button on the Taskbar and the Windows Notification Area.
In some versions of Windows, you may be missing some or all of these icons, you can change what default icons show by following the steps in the link below.
- How to create shortcut on the Windows Desktop.
- Access Windows Desktop icons without minimizing anything.