Alternatively referred to as sleep mode, Standby or Stand by is a mode the computer, monitor, or other device enters when idle for too long. This mode helps conserve power when a computer or computer device is not in use without having to sacrifice the time it would take to turn off and on the computer. When in Stand by, the computer or monitor will have a solid of flashing amber light, indicating that there is still power but the computer is in Stand by.
To resume or wake up a computer in Standby mode move the mouse, press a key on the keyboard, or press the power button on the computer without holding it down for more than a few seconds.
Tip: If a computer is in Standby, but cannot be resumed using one of the methods mentioned above, in order to reboot the computer hold down the power button for 5-10 seconds.
- How to disable power management or Standby.
- How do I disable the power, sleep, or wake buttons in Windows?
- Is it ok for a laptop to go into standby or hibernate instead of turning it off?
- Receive blinking cursor when resuming from standby mode.
- Computer Power Management help and support.