How to disable power management, standby, or sleep in Windows
How to disable power management, standby, or sleep in Windows.
Tip: Laptop users can also click the power icon in their notification area to get to the power settings.
- Open the Control Panel.
- Click Hardware and Sound.
- Click Power options or Change power-saving settings.
- Click the Change Plan link under any of the plans to get the Edit Plan Settings window as shown below. If you wish for the computer to not go into Standby or turn off the screen select Never.
The window that opens (shown above) will allow you to change settings for turning off the display and whether or not to put the computer to sleep. You can also change additional advanced settings by clicking on the "Change advanced power settings" link. When you have completed the power settings changes, click the Save changes button before closing the window.
- Click Start, Settings and open the Control Panel.
- Double-click the Power, Power Management, or Power Options icon depending on your version of Windows.
- In the Power Schemes tab click the down arrow by System standby and select Never. If you're running an earlier version of Windows disable the option to turn off hard drive and monitor by clicking the down arrow and selecting Never.
In addition to the above steps earlier computers or computers running variants of Linux or other operating systems may also want to disable their power settings through CMOS setup. In CMOS setup you should have a power category; this category will allow power management to be disabled.