Windows 8, codenamed Midori is a version of Microsoft Windows released October 26, 2012. This iteration contains some of the biggest changes Microsoft has made to their operating system since Windows 95. It features new programming and technology allowing it to run faster as well as a more streamlined look and feel to users. Windows 8 also includes a tablet interface, called Metro, which is compatible with touch-screen displays and stills offers access to the traditional Windows Desktop. Below is an example of the new Windows 8 Start screen, which replaces the Start button and Start menu.
Windows 8 is available in both 32 and 64-bit versions, includes Internet Explorer 10 and native support USB 3.0. Users may utilize a Microsoft account to login to Windows 8 or two other authentication methods new to this version (picture password and PIN login). The standard Task Manager has been redesigned, as has the Windows Defender security software, which includes anti-virus capabilities. Microsoft has also built Windows 8 with Xbox Live integration in mind.
Windows 8 system requirements
1GHz processor or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64)
1GB of RAM for 32-bit or 2GB of RAM for 64-bit
16GB of hard drive space for 32-bit or 20GB for 64-bit
DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher.
- Start button on the Desktop that opens the Start Screen.
- More customization to the Start screen including the ability to resize tiles, new backdrops, and the ability to use the Desktop wallpaper as a backdrop to the Start Screen.
- Improvements to the Apps screen.
- Improved Search box that activates by typing anywhere.
- New photo lock screen to show your photos when your computer is locked.
- Better app splitting capabilities including the ability to put three or for on screen simultaneously.
- Ability to load straight to the Desktop.
What Windows came before Windows 8?
For the end user, Windows 7 came before Windows 8.
What version of Windows came after Windows 8?
For the end user, Microsoft Windows 10 came after Windows 8.
- Microsoft Windows 8 questions and answers.
- How do I get the start button back in Windows 8?
- Top 10 Windows 8 tips and tricks.