How to test how fast of Internet connection you have
Numerous third-party web pages have been designed to test your Internet connection speed. The sections below contain information on Internet connection speed with tools and web pages that help you test the bandwidth of your connection. We tried to create this list in order of best to worst for bandwidth testing.
With most connections, it is normal for your download speed to be much faster than your upload speed.
Test speed directly from your browser
Google Chrome now offers a tool that tests your Internet connection speed directly from the browser.
- Type speed test into the address bar or Google search bar.
- In the box that appears at the top of the screen, click the button.
Services to test speed of the Internet
If you want to test the speed of your cellular data connection on your smartphone, you can download the Speedtest.net app.
Another great way to test your Internet connection averages is to install a bandwidth monitor utility on your computer. These tools can give you a good average of what your speed is in reports that can be generated by day, month, or year.
How fast should my connection be?
Many users wonder if their connection is fast enough to handle their day-to-day activities on the Web. The answer to this question depends on what you plan to do on the Internet. The following section gives some examples of required speeds for different tasks.
- Online Gaming - Between 15 and 20 Mbps
- Streaming standard definition video - Between 2 and 3 Mbps
- Streaming 720p high definition video - Between 3 and 5 Mbps
- Streaming 1080p high definition video - Between 4 and 8 Mbps
- Streaming 4k Ultra high definition video - Between 11 and 15 Mbps
- Streaming music - Between 1 and 2 Mbps
What if I'm not getting the advertised connection speed?
If after running any of the speed tests recommended above and you believe your Internet connection speed is not performing at the level it should be, contact your Internet provider. Computer Hope cannot assist users with Internet connection speed related issues. In many cases, other than probing your modem or network interface, an ISP can't do much more than test their end to make sure nothing is wrong.