How to download everything you've posted on Facebook
Facebook gives you the ability to download everything you've posted on Facebook as well as everything Facebook knows about you. The download includes all pictures and videos you've posted, wall posts, chat messages, event information, apps you've downloaded, contact info, ad information, and much more.
To start the download of your Facebook data follow the steps below.
- Log into your Facebook account on a computer.
- In the top-right corner of Facebook click the down arrow and click Settings.
- In the General Account Settings section, click the Download a copy link to start the process of downloading your Facebook data.
- Click the Start My Archive button.
- Verify your Facebook account password.
- Once the process starts, it can take some time to create everything that makes up your personal archive. Once it is ready to be downloaded, you'll be sent an e-mail and notified on Facebook.
- The archive process may take up to an hour or more before you can get an e-mail. So, be patient while waiting for your information to be processed.
- Once you've received the e-mail, click the link in your e-mail to open the Download Your Information page.
- Click the Download Archive button on the Facebook Download Your Information page.
- Enter your Facebook account password again when prompted. Once the password has been verified the download will start.
- Because the download is going to likely be several hundred megabytes, it may take a while to download the file.
- Once complete, open your download location.
- The file is downloaded as a .zip file and should be named something similar to facebook-<yourname>.zip.
- Extract the files to your computer.
Once the files have been extracted, you'll most likely have four folders (HTML, messages, photos, and videos) as well as an index.htm HTML file. Open the index.htm file in your browser to start browsing your Facebook information or one of the folders if you want to browse individual files.