Updated: 04/02/2019 by Computer Hope
line feed arrow

Short for line feed, LF is an ASCII (American Standard Code for Information Interchange) character or button on the printer that instructs the printer to move down one line.


A line feed is not the same as a CR (carriage return) or newline character. However, the text CR may be combined with LF to form CR/LF or CRLF (carriage return/line feed).

Should I use "line feed" or "linefeed" in my writing?

Line feed should be written as two words and always spelled out on the first mention when abbreviating.

Computer acronyms, CR, Enter, EOL, FF, Newline, Printer terms