In some Microsoft Office 2007 and later applications, a SmartArt graphic can be created and added to document. SmartArt is a way to turn ordinary text into something more visually appealing. It can be used to draw attention to important information or make information easier to interpret and understand. SmartArt can be used to create an organizational chart, a decision tree, a pyramid or matrix structure, illustrate steps in a process, or display events in a timeline.
Which programs work with SmartArt?
SmartArt can be created in the following Microsoft Office applications.
- Microsoft Word 2007 and later.
- Microsoft Excel 2007 and later.
- Microsoft Outlook 2007 and later.
- Microsoft PowerPoint 2007 and later.
Other applications in the Microsoft Office suite are not capable of creating SmartArt. However, users can copy SmartArt from one application to another, whether the destination application can create SmartArt or not.
How to create SmartArt
To create SmartArt, follow the steps below.
- In the Microsoft application, click the Insert tab in the Ribbon.
- On the Insert tab, click the SmartArt icon, as shown in the image above.
- In the SmartArt window, select a type of SmartArt graphic on the left, then select a specific SmartArt graphic to add to the document and click OK.