Updated: 10/11/2017 by Computer Hope
Name: David Albert Huffman
Born: August 9, 1925 in Ohio
Death: October 7, 1999 (Age: 74)
Computer related contributions
- Programmer and pioneer in computer science, known for his work on developing Huffman coding in 1952.
Honors and awards
- The IEEE Richard W. Hamming Medal.
- A Golden Jubilee Award for Technological Innovation from the IEEE Information Theory Society, for "the invention of the Huffman minimum-length lossless data-compression code".
- Charter recipient of the Computer Pioneer Award from the IEEE Computer Society.
- The W. Wallace McDowell Award from the IEEE Computer Society.
- The Louis E. Levy Medal from the Franklin Institute for his doctoral thesis on sequential switching circuits.