Updated: 09/15/2017 by Computer Hope
Name: David Packard
Born: September 7, 1912, Pueblo, Colorado, USA
Death: March 26, 1996 (Age: 83)
- Co-founder of Hewlett-Packard (HP).
- Served as HP president (1947–1964), CEO (1964–1968), and Chairman of the Board (1964–1968, 1972–1993).
- He served as U.S. Deputy Secretary of Defense from 1969–1971 during the Nixon administration.
- HP Way: How Bill Hewlett and I Built Our Company. Collins.
Honors and awards
- The 3rd Annual Heinz Award Chairman's Medal (with William Hewlett) (1997).
- Sylvanus Thayer Award (1982).
- Presidential Medal of Freedom(1988).
- Public Welfare Medal (1989).
"To be useful an invention must not only fill a need, it must be an economical and efficient solution to that need."