Updated: 09/15/2017 by Computer Hope
Name: Heinz Zemanek
Born: January 1, 1920
Computer related contributions
- Austrian computer pioneer best known for developing the first complete transistorized computer on the European continent. The computer was named Mailüfterl - German for "May breeze" - in reference to Whirlwind, a computer developed at MIT between 1945 and 1951.
- First manager of the IBM Laboratory Vienna in Germany (1961).
- Played a significant role in the formal definition of the programming language PL/I.
Honors and awards
- Appointed an IBM Fellow (1976)
- Eduard Rhein Ring of Honor from the German Eduard Rhein Foundation (1998)
- Kardinal-Innitzer-Preis award (2003)