Updated: 09/15/2017 by Computer Hope
Name: Robert Endre Tarjan
Born: April 30, 1948, in Pomona, California, USA
- American computer scientist.
- Discovered several graph algorithms, including Tarjan's off-line least common ancestors algorithm.
- Co-inventor of both splay trees and Fibonacci heaps.
- Data structures and network algorithms (1983).
- Notes on Introductory Combinatorics (1983).
Honors and awards
- Caltech Distinguished Alumni Award, California Institute of Technology (2010).
- Blaise Pascal Medal in Mathematics and Computer Science (2004).
- Paris Kanellakis Award in Theory and Practice, ACM (1999).
- Elected an ACM Fellow (1994).
- Turing Award (1986).
- National Academy of Sciences Award for Initiatives in Research (1984).
- Nevanlinna Prize in Information Science (1983).