Updated: 09/15/2017 by Computer Hope
Name: Tom Kilburn
Born: August 11, 1921, in Dewsbury, Yorkshire, England
Death: January 17, 2001 (Age: 79)
- English engineer who worked on the Williams-Kilburn tube and the world's first stored-program computer, the Small-Scale Experimental Machine (SSEM).
Honors and awards
- IEEE Computer Society Computer Pioneer Award (1982).
- Eckert-Mauchly Award (1983).
- Mountbatten Medal (1997).
- Fellow of the Computer History Museum (2000).
- A building at The University of Manchester, which houses the School of Computer Science, is named in his honor.