Uninstalling Windows software
If a software program or game is no longer being used or played or additional space is required it may be necessary to uninstall or delete it. Below is a listing of different methods of uninstalling software from a computer running Microsoft Windows.
Install and Uninstall option
Pro: Will remove all or the majority of all files copied to the computer during installation.
Con: Not all programs support or use this feature.
- Open the Control Panel
- Double-click Add or Remove Programs, Uninstall a program, or Programs and Features.
- Within the new window, select the program you want to uninstall and click the Change, Remove, or Uninstall button.
How do I know what to delete? If you don't know what it is we suggest that it not be removed or ask about what it is first.
If the program or game is not listed within this list, continue reading this document for alternative methods to uninstalling software.
Pro: Created or programmed by the developer of the program that allows the program to delete any files that were originally installed.
Con: May cause errors with other software because it can uninstall files that other programs may be using.
- Click the Start button.
- Open the Programs folder under Programs or All Programs.
- Within the folder, look for an Unwise or Uninstall shortcut. Click this shortcut to start the uninstall process.
- Open Windows Explorer.
- In Explorer, open the folder containing the program you want to uninstall. If you're not sure where the folder is located, a good place to check first would be the Program Files folder.
- Once the folder has been located and opened, look for an Unwise or Uninstall shortcut link or executable program.
Note: Do not search for unwise.exe since it's likely several of these files exist on your computer and may be associated with another program.
If the program or game you have does not have this option, continue reading this document for alternative methods to uninstalling software.
Pro: Will remove files and Registry settings associated with the program, which manually deleting the program will not.
Con: May not remove everything since it's third-party and not something the developer created.
There are various commercial and free available solutions for uninstalling software on your computer. We highly recommend and suggest users try using Revo Uninstaller, a free and easy to use uninstall program and junk file utility.
Pro: Manually deleting the software from the computer helps save space when no other options are available.
Con: May cause additional errors if the operating system or other programs require files that are deleted.
Before manually deleting any software from the computer we recommend you do each of the below suggestions.
- Make sure your Recycle Bin is empty and any files that are deleted are sent to the Recycle Bin in case they need to be restored.
- Backup all important data.
Once you are ready, follow the steps below to manually delete the files.
- Open Windows Explorer.
- Highlight the program or game folder, making sure you're not highlighting its containing folder, such as Programs Files.
- Press the Delete key on the keyboard to delete the files.
- After being deleted, reboot the computer to verify no errors occur. If an error occur, the files can be recovered from the Recycle Bin.