Black and white picture with laptop connected to TV
Updated: 12/20/2017 by Computer Hope
This issue can be caused by any of the below possibilities, we recommend you follow each of the steps below to resolve this issue.
- Driver issue - This issue can be caused by a driver related issue; verify your laptop has the latest drivers from your computer manufacturer. Note: if you are using a laptop computer we recommend you get the latest drivers from your computer manufacturer and not the video card manufacturer unless directed otherwise.
- Connector issues - If you are using an adapter such as a SCART to connect your computer to the TV, make sure it is capable of supporting your video mode. SCART connectors only supports composite video and therefore if you are using S-Video you are only going to get a black and white picture. If you are using S-Video connector, try a S-Video to SCART pro (pro-SCART-6).
- TV modes - Verify your laptop is using the same TV mode as your TV (e.g., PAL or NTSC).
- Hardware - Insure you are connecting the laptop directly to the TV and not through any other devices.
- Other - If the previously mentioned issues do not relate to your situation, we recommend that you contact your laptop computer manufacturer or video card manufacturer for further assistance.