How to burn or create CD or DVD on a computer
You must have a disc drive capable of burning a CD and a blank recordable CD-R (recordable CD-ROM). For example, a CD-RW and DVD-RW are examples of drives capable of burning a CD. A standard CD-ROM drive cannot burn a CD with any software program.
Create data and audio CDs
There are numerous software programs available today for creating CDs. Below is a short list of some of the most popular programs used to copy, burn, and create audio and data CDs.
- CDBurnerXP Pro - Free Microsoft Windows CD and DVD burner software program.
- Nero - One of the most popular and widely recommended programs to create CDs.
- Alcohol 120% - Another popular and widely used program to create CDs.
- Easy Media Creator or Toast - Products from Roxio, Easy Media Creator is a widely used program for Windows computers. Toast is one of the most popular programs to create CDs on Apple Macintosh computers.
Because of the many different CD burning programs available, we are not able to provide instructions on how to use each one to create a CD. We recommend you search on the Internet or check the software manufacturer's website for instructions on how to use the program of your choice.
Only create audio CDs
If you only need to burn an audio CD, it is very likely that you already have a program installed on your computer capable of burning CDs. Below is a list of some of the commonly used programs to create audio CDs (in addition to those mentioned above).
- Microsoft Windows Media Player 10 - All latest versions of Microsoft Windows have Windows Media Player installed and can be used to create audio CDs.
- Apple iTunes - All versions of Apple iTunes for the Mac and Windows computers are capable of burning CDs. If you have this program installed on your computer, you can also use it to create audio CDs.
Other CD burning software
There are dozens of other programs that enable users to create their own CDs. If you are interested in something other than any of the above solutions, try searching Google.
- Programs used to rip or copy audio CDs to a computer.
- How can I add more information to a CD-R disc?
- See our CD-R and CD-RW definitions for further information and related links.
- Computer CD-R help and support.