Updated: 06/30/2020 by Computer Hope
A job may refer to any of the following:
1. In general, a job is work or a task that's been assigned, currently being worked on, or was completed. Today, a job is a paid position most often completed by a human. However, as computers and robots become more sophisticated, more jobs are being done by a computer.
Examples of human computer-related jobs can include an administrator, engineer, programmer, and technical support.
2. With Linux, jobs is a command that allows you to show running jobs. See our jobs command page for further information and examples on this command.
- Use the kill command to end a Linux job.
3. When referring to JCL or an IBM mainframe operating system, a job refers to a multitude of tasks, such as executing a program, copying data, etc.
4. When referring to a person, Jobs is often used to describe Steve Jobs.
Business terms, Gig