Power Options overview
The pictures below are examples of what the Power Options windows looks like in different versions of Windows.
Windows 10 Power Options.
Windows 7 and Windows 8 Power Options.
Windows XP Power Options.
How to open Windows Power Options
- Press Win + X (hold down the Windows key and press X) to open the Power User Tasks Menu.
- Select Power Options (or press O).
How to use Windows Power Options
Click the radio button next to your preferred power plan.
- Balanced (Recommended) will conserve power whenever you are idle, and use more power only when you need faster performance.
- High Performance will use more power, but give you the maximum performance from your computer.
- To fine-tune your power plans and choose from additional options, click Change Plan Settings.
When you are done, click OK.
What is Power Saver?
The Power Saver mode sets your computer to maximize its power usage by sacrificing some of your computer's performance. Using Power Saver mode is good for anyone who is running their laptop off of battery power and need to save as much power as possible.
After changing to the Power Saver mode, you can also click on Change Plan Settings and then click on Change advanced power settings to adjust the power settings even further.