Updated: 09/15/2017 by Computer Hope
Name: David M. Young, Jr. Ph.D.
Born: October 20, 1923 in Quincy, Massachusetts USA
Death: December 21, 2008 (Age: 85)
- American computer scientist and mathematician and who was one of the pioneers in the field of modern numerical analysis/scientific computing.
- Known for successive over-relaxation and symmetric successive over-relaxation methods.
- First to teach a mathematics course focusing mainly on computer programming and numerical analysis.
- A Survey of Numerical Mathematics (1973).
- Iterative Solution of Large Linear Systems (1971).
- Applied Iterative Methods (1981).
Honors and awards
- Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science.
- Honored by the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) for "outstanding contributions to computer science" (1990).