Updated: 09/15/2017 by Computer Hope
Name: Mark S. Pinsker
Born: April 24, 1925
Death: December 23, 2003 (Age: 78)
- Russian mathematician who fields of study included information theory, probability theory, coding theory, ergodic theory, mathematical statistics, and communication networks.
- Known for his classic paper on the entropy theory of dynamical systems which introduced the maximal partition with zero entropy, later known as Pinsker's partition.
- Produced notable results in the theory of switching networks and complexity problems in coding theory.
- Numbers, Information, and Complexity (2000).
- Estimation of error-correction complexity of Gallager low-density codes (1976).
- The complexity of an optimal non-blocking commutation scheme without reorganization (1973).
- Theory of curves in Hilbert space with stationary increments of order (1955).
Honors and awards
- IEEE Richard W. Hamming Medal (1996).
- IEEE Claude E. Shannon Award (1978).