Updated: 12/30/2019 by Computer Hope
Name: Peter Norton
Born: November 14, 1943, in Aberdeen, Washington, USA
- American programmer, software publisher, author, and philanthropist.
- Known for the computer programs and books that bear his name. Norton sold his PC software business to Symantec Corporation in 1990.
- In 1982, he founded Peter Norton Computing with $30,000 and an IBM computer. Norton Utilities included Norton's popular UNERASE tool to retrieve erased data from DOS disks.
- He began writing monthly columns in 1982 for PC Magazine and later PC Week magazine as well, which he wrote until 1987. He soon became recognized as a principal authority on IBM personal computer technology.
- Peter Norton's Intro to Computers 6/e (2004).
- Peter Norton's New Inside the PC (2002).
- Peter Norton's Complete Guide to DOS 6.22 (1994).
- The Peter Norton Programmer's Guide to the IBM PC (1985).
Honors and awards
- Named "Entrepreneur of the Year" by Arthur Young & Co (1988).