How to install fonts on my computer
Installing a new font on your computer is easy and is a great way to add personality to your documents. Below are the steps required to install a font on your computer.
Tip: If you have not already downloaded a new font there are thousands of fonts available online. Also, any time you install a program that deals with fonts it may install additional fonts on your computer.
Install a font
When downloading a font you'll have a file that contains the font information. For example, example.ttf is the name of a TrueType font file that would contain the example font. Right-click on the font file and click Install. After clicking install Windows takes a few seconds to install the font and then the font should be installed and available in your programs.
View available fonts
- Open the Control Panel.
- Click Appearance and Personalization and then Fonts icon by double clicking the icon.
- Within the Fonts window, you can view each of the currently installed fonts as well as delete any fonts shown.
- Click Start, Settings, Control Panel.
- Open the Fonts icon by double clicking the icon.
- Within the Fonts window, you can view each of the currently installed fonts as well as install new fonts. To install a font, click the File menu and select Install New Font.
- Locate the directory of the fonts you want to install.
- Highlight the fonts you want to install and click ok.
Tip:Users may also install fonts onto the computer by opening the Fonts folder through Windows Explorer. Usually this folder is either C:\WINDOWS or C:\WINNT\FONTS. Once this folder is open, select the fonts you want to install from an alternate folder and copy and paste them into the Fonts folder.
- Open the System Fonts folder.
- Open the drive or folder containing the fonts that you want to install.
- Select each of the fonts you want to install.
- While holding down the Options key, drag and drop the fonts into your Fonts folder.