How to install fonts on my computer
Installing a new font is an easy and great way to add personality to your documents. The following sections contain details on how to add new desktop fonts to your computer. To proceed, select your operating system from the list below and follow the instructions.
Tip: If you have not already downloaded a new font there are thousands of fonts available online. Installing a program that deals with fonts may add fonts on your computer as well.
Install a font
- Download a new font from the Internet.
- Open the folder containing the new font you'd like to install.
- Right-click on the font file you'd like to install and select Open.
- In the window that appears, click on the Install button in the top, left-hand corner.
View available fonts
- Press the Windows key, type Control Panel, and then press Enter.
- Select Appearance and Personalization, and then Fonts.
- Within the Fonts window, you can view or delete each of the fonts currently installed on Windows.
- Click Start, Settings, and then Control Panel.
- Open the Fonts icon by double clicking it.
- Within the Fonts window, you can view each of the currently installed fonts as well as install new ones. To install a font, click the File menu and select Install New Font from the drop-down menu that appears.
- Locate the directory of the fonts you want to install.
- Highlight the fonts you want to install and click ok.
Tip:Users may also install fonts onto the computer by opening the Fonts folder through Windows Explorer. Usually, this folder is either C:\WINDOWS or C:\WINNT\FONTS. Once this folder is open, select the fonts you want to install from an alternate folder, and then copy and paste them into the Fonts folder.
- Open the System Fonts folder.
- Open the drive or folder containing the fonts that you want to install.
- Select each of the fonts you want to install.
- While holding down the Options key, drag and drop the fonts into your Fonts folder.