How to insert a page break in Microsoft Word and OO Writer
Tip: Most Word processing programs, including Microsoft Word and OpenOffice, support the Ctrl+Enter shortcut key combination to insert a page break. If this shortcut key combination doesn't work or you want more break options, follow the steps below.
Microsoft Word users
To insert a page break while in Microsoft Word, follow the steps below.
Microsoft Word 2007 and later
- Click on the Insert tab.
- Select the Page Break option. After inserting the page break, your cursor should be placed on the next page.
Microsoft Word 2003 and earlier
- Click Insert in the top menu. If you do not see the top menu, press the Alt key.
- Select Break from the drop down.
- Select Page Break and click OK. After the page break is inserted, you should see a Page Break line similar to the example below or be on the next page depending on how your viewing your document.
OpenOffice Writer users
To insert a page break in OpenOffice Writer, follow the steps below.
- Click Insert on the file menu.
- Click Manual break.
- Select Page Break and click OK.
- How to delete a page break in Microsoft Word and OpenOffice Writer.
- How to add or update a table of contents in Microsoft Word.
- See the page break definition for further information and related links.
- Microsoft Word help and support.