Name: William H. Gates
Born: October 28, 1955, in Seattle, Washington, USA
- Co-Founder and early CEO of the Microsoft company.
- Developed Altair BASIC for the MITS Altair that later developed into Microsoft BASIC.
- Helped in the development of Microsoft's earlier programs such as MS-DOS.
- The Road Ahead.
- Business @ the Speed of Thought.
Honors and awards
- Awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2016.
- Honored with the Silver Buffalo Award by the Boy Scouts of America.
- Awarded the 2010 Bower Award for Business Leadership of The Franklin Institute.
- Time magazine named Bill Gates one of the most 100 people who influenced the 20th century and one of the 100th most influential people of 2004, 2005, and 2006.
- Bill and his wife were awarded the Order of the Aztec Eagle for their philanthropic work in 2006.
- Made honorary Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire (KBE) by Queen Elizabeth II in 2005.
- Honored as the 12th Distinguished Fellow of the British Computer Society.
- Youngest self-made billionaire.
- Featured on the front of TIME magazine in 1984.
"It's fine to celebrate success, but it is more important to heed the lessons of failure."
"Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one."
"If GM had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25 cars that got 1000 MPG."
"Measuring programming progress by lines of code is like measuring aircraft building progress by weight."
"We always overestimate the change that will occur in the next two years and underestimate the change that will occur in the next ten."
"Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can’t lose."
"I choose a lazy person to do a hard job. Because a lazy person will find an easy way to do it."