Updated: 09/15/2017 by Computer Hope
Name: Kenneth Lane Thompson
Born: February 4, 1943, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
- Helped develop the UNIX operating system.
- Created the B programming language.
- Helped develop the Multics operating system.
Honors and awards
- With Dennis Ritchie was awarded the Japan Prize for Information and Communications in 2011.
- Awarded the first Tsutomu Kanai Award in 1999.
- Awarded National Medal of Technology on April 21, 1998 with Dennis Ritchie.
- Received the IEEE Richard W. Hamming Medal from the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) in 1990.
- Elected to the National Academy of Engineering in 1988.
- Received the Turing Award in 1983.
"One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code."