Updated: 09/15/2017 by Computer Hope
Name: Dennis MacAlistair Ritchie
Born: September 9, 1941, Bronxville, New York, USA
Death: October 12, 2011 (Age: 70)
- Created the C programming language.
- Helped develop the UNIX operating system.
- Helped develop the Multics operating system.
- The C Programming Language.
Honors and awards
- With Ken Thompson was awarded the Japan Prize for Information and Communications in 2011.
- Awarded National Medal of Technology on April 21, 1998 with Ken Thompson.
- Received the IEEE Richard W. Hamming Medal from the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) in 1990.
- Elected to the National Academy of Engineering in 1988.
- Received the Turing Award in 1983.
"UNIX is very simple, it just needs a genius to understand its simplicity."
"C is quirky, flawed, and an enormous success."