Updated: 11/16/2019 by Computer Hope
Name: Ray Tomlinson
Born: April 23, 1941, in Amsterdam, New York, USA
Death: March 5, 2016 (Age: 74)
- American programmer who implemented an e-mail system in 1971 on the ARPANET (first system able to send mail between users on different hosts connected to the ARPAnet).
- Used the @ sign to separate the user from their machine, which has been used in e-mail addresses ever since.
Honors and awards
- Inducted into the Internet Hall of Fame (2012).
- Listed at #4 on the MIT150 list of the top 150 innovators and ideas from MIT (2011).
- Prince of Asturias award (2009).
- IEEE Internet Award (2004).
- Discover Magazine's Innovation Award (2002).