How do I open a new tab in Mozilla Firefox?
There are several different methods of opening a link in a new tab or opening a new tab in Mozilla Firefox. Below is a listing of all the different methods, sorted in the order we recommend.
Today, a PC mouse will almost always have a wheel in the middle of the two buttons, that enables a user to scroll up and down on a page. What many users don't know is that this wheel also can be used as a button by pressing it down. By default pressing the wheel down or any middle or third-button mouse will open the link clicked on in a new window.
Note: Some mouse developers may set this button to another feature. If your middle button does not open a new tab or does something different try adjusting the mouse button settings by following the steps below.
- Open the mouse settings by clicking the mouse icon in the Systray, and adjust the button settings through the developers software. If you do not have a mouse icon, try opening the Windows Control Panel and follow the steps listed below.
- In the Windows Control Panel, open the Printers and Other Hardware or the Mouse icon.
- In the Mouse Properties window under the buttons tab, change the action of the Wheel button to Middle-click. If you do not have a buttons tab it's likely that either the software for your mouse is not installed or you're using a mouse that's configured through another program.
When you see a link you'd like to open in a new tab right-click the link and select Open Link in New Tab.
If you would just like a blank new tab use the Ctrl+T shortcut to open a new tab.
Right-click in a blank portion of the tab bar and click New Tab.
Finally, a new blank tab can also be opened from the Firefox file menu by clicking File and selecting New Tab.
Other helpful Firefox tab tricks
- Mistakenly close a tab? Press Ctrl + Shift + T to open the last closed tab. This can also be pressed multiple times if multiple tabs have been closed.
- Tabs can be arranged by clicking on a tab and dragging it to the location you'd like it to be.
- The tab menu has a lot of additional features to help manage and control the tabs currently opened. To access this menu, right-click on a blank portion of the tab bar or the down arrow at the end of the tab bar.