How to remove a device in Windows Device Manager
To remove a device in Windows Device Manager follow the steps below.
- Open Windows Device Manager.
- Once in Device Manager, click the '+' symbol or arrow next to the device type you want to remove. For example, If you are looking for the video card you would click the '+' next to Display adapters to view each of the video cards installed in the computer.
- Finally, highlight the device you want to remove and press the delete key on your keyboard or click Action from the File Menu and then Uninstall.
While in the Device Manager, we always recommend also making sure there are no "Other Devices" or any devices with a yellow exclamation marks or red x's. If any of these errors exist, you have other problems in Device Manager that should be fixed.
If you are uninstalling a device in Device Manager as a troubleshooting step. Once the device is uninstalled, reboot the computer, and Windows will attempt to detect the device again. If you don't want the device to be re-detected, instead of uninstalling it, disable it.
- Unable to remove a device in Windows Device Manager.
- See our Device Manager definition for further information and related links.
- Windows Device Manager help and support.