How to remove a device in Windows Device Manager
To remove a device in Windows Device Manager follow the steps below.
- Open Windows Device Manager.
- Once in Device Manager click the '+' symbol or arrow next to the device type you want to remove. For example, If you are looking for the video card you would click the '+' next to Display adapters to view each of the video cards installed in the computer.
- Finally, highlight the device you want to remove and press the delete key on your keyboard or click Action from the File Menu and then Uninstall.
Note: While in the Device Manager, we always recommend also making sure there are no "Other Devices" or any devices with a yellow exclamation marks or red x's. If any of these errors exist, you have other problems in Device Manager that should be fixed.
Tip: If you are uninstalling a device in Device Manager as a troubleshooting step. Once the device has been uninstalled, reboot the computer, and Windows will attempt to detect the device again. If you don't want the device to be re-detected, instead of uninstalling it, disable it.
- Unable to remove a device in Windows Device Manager.
- See our Device Manager definition for further information and related links.
- Windows Device Manager help and support.