How to add extensions to your browser
All Internet browsers allow for the use of extensions, which are small programs that extend the functionality of a browser. Good examples are AdBlock Plus, Web of Trust, and Tiny URL. This document contains information on how to download and install extensions for each of the major Internet browsers. To proceed, select your browser from the list below and follow the instructions.
- Open the Microsoft Edge browser.
- Select More from the upper-right corner of the screen.
- In the drop-down menu that appears, select Extensions.
- From the list that appears, select Get extensions from the Store.
- In the window that appears, you can search for your desired extension in the upper-right corner of the screen, or choose from the suggested ones at the bottom.
- Once you've made your selection, click the Get button.
- When the extension finishes downloading, click the Launch button.
- Finally, on the next screen, click the Turn it on button.
- Open the Google Chrome browser.
- Navigate to the Chrome Web Store.
- On the page that appears, you may either search for an extension or scroll down the page to look at suggestions.
- Once you've found the extension you'd like to install, click the button.
- Finally, you'll see a prompt appear; click the Add extension button.
- Open the Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Navigate to the Firefox Add-ons site.
- In the header of the page, click the Extensions tab.
- Next, you may choose to browse extensions by category, or by searching for specific ones (upper-right corner of the screen).
- Once you've located the extension you're interested in, click the button.
- Next, you should see a prompt in the upper-right corner of the screen asking you to confirm your selection. Click Install.
- A small box will appear showing that your extension was installed correctly.
- Open the Opera browser.
- Click the icon in the upper-left corner.
- Select Extensions, then Extensions again.
- On the left side of the screen, click Get more extensions.
- On the next screen, you may browse through the recommended extensions by scrolling down, or search for specific ones.
- Once you've located the extension you'd like to add, click the button.
- Open the Internet Explorer browser.
- Click on the icon and select Manage add-ons from the drop-down menu that appears.
- In the Manage Add-ons window, in the lower-left corner, click on Find more toolbars and extensions...
- Locate the add-on of your choice, and then click the Add button next to it.
- You'll then be prompted to confirm your selection, click Add.
- How to disable or remove browser extensions.
- How to enable plugins in the Google Chrome browser.
- See our plugin definition for further information and related links.
- Internet browser help and support.