How to report a YouTube video or channel
There are millions of channels on YouTube, with billions of hours worth of videos to watch. Most are there for entertainment, DIY instruction, and educational purposes. However, once in a while, you may run across a channel containing prohibited material, such as pornography or nudity, violence, harassment, hate speech, or other violations. If you run across a channel with one or more of these types of videos, you can report the video. If there are multiple instances of this behavior on the channel, you can also report the channel.
To learn how to report a YouTube video or channel, select a link below and follow the instructions.
How to report a YouTube video
If you come across a video on YouTube that goes against the YouTube community guidelines, you can report the video by following the steps below.
- If you aren't already, log in to your YouTube account.
- Locate the video you want to report.
- If you've already selected the video, click the meatballs menu, as shown in example A below. If you're on the YouTube home screen showing several videos, click the kebab menu on the bottom-right of the offending video, as shown in example B below.
- In the menu that appears, click Report.
- In the following menu that appears, select the reason you're reporting the video, then click Report.
How to report a YouTube channel
If you come across a channel on YouTube containing one or more videos that go against the YouTube community guidelines, you can report the channel by following the steps below.
- If you haven't already, log in to your YouTube account.
- Locate the channel you want to report.
- Click the About section of the channel.
- Click the Flag icon near the bottom-right of the About section.
- Choose from the options listed.
What happens when a YouTube video or channel is reported?
When you report a video or channel, an anonymous message is sent to the YouTube moderators. The moderators review each of these complaints on a case-by-case basis. If they find the video is in violation, the moderators remove the video from YouTube. If the complaint isn't a severe violation and doesn't have enough users reporting it, most likely, the moderators will dismiss the reports. The video creator will not know who reported them or their video, as the reporting is anonymous.
- How to download YouTube video on a smartphone or tablet.
- Protect children from harmful material and people on the Internet.
- How can I record sound from YouTube videos?
- How do I change the YouTube language settings?
- How to upload a video to YouTube.
- How to repeat YouTube videos.
- How to download video from the Internet.
- Full listing of YouTube tips.
- See the YouTube definition for further information and related links.
- YouTube help and support.