Updated: 09/15/2017 by Computer Hope
Name: John Kenneth Ousterhout
Born: October 15, 1954, in Solano County, San Francisco, CA, USA
- Chairman and Founder of Electric Cloud, Inc. and professor of computer science at University of California, Berkeley. Creator of the Tcl scripting language and the Tk platform-independent widget toolkit.
- Led the research group that designed the experimental Sprite operating system and the first log-structured file system.
- Original author of the Magic VLSI Computer-aided design program.
- Fast Crash Recovery in RAMCloud (2011).
- The Case for RAMCloud (2011).
- Integrating Long Polling with an MVC Web Framework (2011).
- Scripting: Higher-Level Programming for the 21st Century (1998).
- Tcl and the Tk Toolkit (1994).
- The Design and Implementation of a Log-Structured File System (1992).
- Why Aren't Operating Systems Getting Faster as Fast as Hardware (1990).
Honors and awards
- National Academy of Engineering (2001).
- ACM Software System Award (1997).
- ACM Fellow (1994).
- ACM Grace Murray Hopper Award (1987).
- U.C. Berkeley Distinguished Teaching Award (1985).
- National Science Foundation Presidential Young Investigator (1984-1989).
- National Science Foundation Graduate Fellowship (1976-1979).