Alternatively referred to as the net or the web, the Internet was initially developed by the IPTO with the intention of helping to develop the progress of computing technology by linking the work being done by all the best academic computer centers. The Internet as we know it today first started being developed in the late 1960's and transmitted its first message on Friday, October 29, 1969. In 1993, the Internet experienced one of its largest growths to date and today is accessible by people everywhere in the world.
The Internet contains billions of web pages created by people and companies from around the world, making it a limitless location to locate information and entertainment. The Internet also has thousands of services that help make life more convenient. For example, many financial institutions offer online banking that enables a user to manage and view their account online. The picture is a representation and map of the Internet done by The Opte Project.
The Internet basics
- The Internet utilizes the TCP/IP protocol and is accessed using a computer modem, broadband, 3G or network that is connected through an ISP.
- The Internet is explored, which is more commonly referred to as surfing, using a computer browser.
- Finding information on the Internet is achieved by using a search engine.
- Users browse web pages by following hyperlinks.
- Files, pictures, songs, and video can be shared by uploading and downloading.
- The Internet is also used for communicating with others through social networks, forums, chat, e-mails, and IM.
- Internet history.
- All Internet questions and answers.
- Internet Tips.
- What things to do when bored on the Internet.
- Is it possible to crash or shutdown the entire Internet?
- Computer network and network card help and support