Alternatively referred to as the net or web, the Internet was initially developed to aid in the progress of computing technology by linking all the best academic computer centers. The Internet as we know it today first started being developed in the late 1960's and transmitted its first message on Friday, October 29, 1969. In 1993, the Internet experienced one of its largest growths to date and today is accessible by people all over the world.
Tip: See our Internet history section for full information about the development and creation of the Internet.
The Internet contains billions of web pages created by people and companies from around the world, making it a limitless place to locate information and entertainment. The Internet also has thousands of services that help make life more convenient. For example, many financial institutions offer online banking that enables a user to manage and view their account online. The picture is a representation and map of the Internet done by The Opte Project.
The Internet basics
- The Internet utilizes the TCP/IP protocol and is accessed using a computer modem, broadband, 3G or network that is connected through an ISP.
- The Internet is explored, which is more commonly referred to as surfing, using a browser.
- Finding information on the Internet is achieved by using a search engine.
- Users browse web pages by following hyperlinks.
- Files, pictures, songs, and video can be shared downloading (receiving) and uploading (sending).
- The Internet is also used for communicating with others through social networks, online games, forums, chat, e-mails, IM and VoIP.
- Internet Tips.
- What things to do when bored on the Internet.
- Is it possible to crash or shutdown the entire Internet?
- How do I create an Internet favorite or bookmark?
- Computer network and network card help and support.
- All Internet questions and answers.
- See our full list of Internet terms for every term relating to the Internet.