1. Alternatively referred to as boot up, booting is the process of powering on a computer and getting into the operating system. During the boot process, the computer will perform a self-diagnostic, also known as a POST and load necessary drivers and programs that help the computer and devices communicate. As your computer is booting, you may see a screen similar to the example picture below.
If the computer cannot boot you may receive a boot failure, which is an error that indicates the computer is either not passing POST or a device in the computer such as the hard drive has failed.
- POST troubleshooting steps to follow if your computer is not booting.
- What steps to take if your computer boots slow.
- Getting media test failure, check cable error when computer boots.
- How does a computer work?
2. See the kick definition for additional information about what it means to get boot or booted from chat.