1. The home key is a key found on the computer keyboard usually above the end key. This key returns you to the beginning of the line, document, page, cell, or screen of where your cursor is positioned.
Practice using home
Examples of using the home key
Below is a list of all of the different ways the home key can be used on your keyboard. Keep in mind that not all programs use the home key the same, so not all of these examples will work with every program.
- Home - Go to the beginning of the line, paragraph or document.
- Ctrl + Home - Pressing Ctrl and Home at the same time will go to the very beginning of the text or page.
- Shift + Home - Pressing Shift and Home at the same time highlights all text from the current position to the start of the line.
- Ctrl + Shift + Home - Pressing Ctrl, Shift, and Home all at the same time highlights all text from the current position to the beginning of the text or page.
Tip: While browsing the Internet pressing the home key on your keyboard will move to the top of the page.
2. When referring to multiple keys, home keys is short for home row keys.