How to fix distorted video after increasing resolution in Windows
If the video resolution is set higher than what's supported by the monitor or video card, or the video card drivers are corrupt, you'll see a distorted picture. To recover the picture in Microsoft Windows, follow the steps below.
If your desktop computer screen is blank or black, with no display at all, see: No display or black screen on a computer monitor.
If your laptop screen is blank or black, with no display at all, see: My laptop computer screen is black.
- Shut down the computer. If your display is distorted and you're unable to properly shut down, turn off the computer.
- Turn the computer on again and boot into Safe Mode.
- Once in Safe Mode, the resolution setting is set at the lowest setting, allowing you to navigate through Windows.
- Change the display resolution back to a lower setting.
- After the settings are changed, restart the computer and verify the distorted video issue is resolved.