Distorted video after increasing resolution in Windows
If the video resolution is set higher than what is supported by the monitor or video card, or the video card drivers currently installed are corrupt, you will get a distorted resolution. To recover the picture in Microsoft Windows, follow the steps below.
- Shut down the computer. If your display is distorted and you're unable to properly shut down, turn off the computer.
- Turn the computer on again and boot into Safe Mode.
- Once in Safe Mode, the resolution setting will be set at the lowest setting, allowing you to navigate through Windows.
- Change the resolution back to a lower setting by clicking Start, Settings, Control Panel and click or double-click the Display icon.
- In the Display Properties window, click the Settings tab and adjust the settings. If you are unsure what your original settings were, we recommend at least 800 x 600 with 256 colors or the lowest available setting.
- After the settings have been changed, click Apply, close out of all windows and restart the computer.