I forgot my Facebook password
Whether it's for an old account or we forgot to write it down, everyone forgets passwords from time to time. The following sections show you how to reset your password on Facebook.
Computer Hope is not affiliated in any way with Facebook. Therefore we cannot provide a temporary password for your Facebook account. We also cannot send you a code that lets you reset your Facebook password.
This page does not describe how to improperly access a Facebook account.
How to reset a Facebook password
The following steps also apply to smartphones.
- Attempt to log into your Facebook account using your e-mail address or phone number.
- With a failed password, you'll see a screen showing your account, with this message next to the password field:
- Click Forgot Password? in the message shown above.
- After you click Forgot Password, you'll see a prompt similar to the one below depending on whether or not you submitted your phone number to Facebook. Choose how you'd like to receive a password reset code (A), and click the button (B).
- In this instance, we've opted to have the password information sent to an e-mail address. Enter the code sent to you via e-mail or smartphone (A), and click the button (B).
- Once you've entered your code, create a new password (A) and click the button (B).
- Choose your login preferences (A) then click the button (B).
- Your password has now been changed, and you may log into your Facebook account.
Additional information on Facebook password issues
Make sure you can access the e-mail account associated with your Facebook account
If you cannot access the e-mail address associated with your Facebook account, you'll need to create a new Facebook account. Facebook does not appear to have an option for contacting them directly to ask for assistance with changing the e-mail address connected to your account.
Make sure cookies are enabled in your browser
To log into Facebook, you must first enable cookies in your Internet browser. You may use the system information tool to determine whether cookies are on or off. If they're disabled, the following link helps you to enable them.
Reached maximum times to reset error
If you tried resetting your password or logging into your account multiple times without success, your account will be temporarily locked as a security measure. Wait a few hours and try logging in again.
I'm trying to access a deceased user's account
If you're trying to access a deceased person's Facebook page, head to the link below and follow the instructions on that page.
Trying to access a deleted Facebook account
If you've deleted your Facebook account you account, page, and password are all deleted and cannot be recovered. To get back on Facebook a new account needs to be created.
My Facebook account was hacked
Often, when an account is hacked, you can still reset the password using the suggestions above.