I forgot my Facebook password
Whether it's for an old account or we forgot to write it down, everyone forgets passwords from time to time. The following sections show you how to reset your password on Facebook.
Computer Hope is not affiliated in any way with Facebook. Therefore we cannot provide you with a temporary password for your Facebook account. We also cannot send you a code that allows you to reset your Facebook password.
This document does not describe how to improperly access a Facebook account.
How to reset a Facebook password
The following steps also apply to smartphones.
- Attempt to log into your Facebook account using your e-mail address or phone number.
- With a failed password, you should see a screen showing your account, with this message next to the password field:
- Click Forgot Password? in the message shown above.
- After you click Forgot Password, you should see a prompt similar to the one below depending on whether or not you submitted your phone number to Facebook. Choose the means by which you'd like to receive a password reset code (A), and then click the button (B).
- In this instance, we've opted to have the password information sent to an e-mail address. Enter the code sent to you via e-mail or smartphone (A), and then click the button (B).
- Once you've entered your code, create a new password (A) and then click the button (B).
- Choose your login preferences (A) then click the button (B).
- Your password has now been changed, and you may log into your Facebook account.
Additional information on Facebook password issues
Make sure you can access the e-mail account associated with your Facebook account
If you cannot access the e-mail address associated with your Facebook account, you'll need to create a new Facebook account. Facebook does not appear to have an option for contacting them directly to ask for assistance with changing the e-mail address connected to your account.
Make sure cookies are enabled in your browser
To log into Facebook, you must first enable cookies in your Internet browser. You may use the system information tool to determine whether cookies are on or off. If they're disabled, the following link can help you to enable them.
Reached maximum times to reset error
If you have tried resetting your password or logging into your account multiple times without success, your account will be temporarily locked as a security measure. Wait a few hours and try logging in again.
I'm trying to access a deceased user's account
If the account you're trying to access is that of a deceased person, head to the link below and follow the instructions on that page.
My Facebook account was hacked
Often, when an account is hacked, you should still be able to reset the password using the suggestions above.
- What is a safe way to remember my passwords?
- How do I change my Facebook password?
- How to deactivate a Facebook account.
- How to delete my Facebook account.
- Recover deleted Facebook messages, photos, videos, or account.
- How to block or unblock someone on Facebook.
- How to start, change, or stop Facebook notifications.
- How to delete a message or conversation from Facebook.
- Facebook help and support.