Open may refer to any of the following:
1. In general, open refers to something that can be accessed or viewed.
2. When referring to computer software, open commonly refers to executing or running a program or accessing and reading a file. For example, if you wanted to read a word processor file, you could open Microsoft Word and select the file to open it. Also, most of the time, you can double-click the file and Windows automatically finds the correct program to open the file.
The keyboard shortcut Ctrl+O shows the open window in most programs and allow you to choose a file to open.
3. When referring to computer hardware or other hardware devices, open refers to physically removing a compartment, such as removing the computer case cover.
5. When using FTP, open is a command used to establish a connection with a remote computer.
6. With an issue, question, post, or ticket, open refers to something that still needs to be fixed or reviewed. For example, if you open a support ticket with a question, it remains open until the problem is solved. Once solved it would be changed from open to closed.