How do I adjust the settings of my home router?
After a router has been connected to your home network if at any time you want to connect to the router and adjust any of its settings follow the steps below.
- Make sure your computer is connected to your router in one of the numbered ports. Your computer should not be connected to the WAN or Internet port.
- Open an Internet browser window.
- In the address bar type the IP address of your router. By default this is commonly http://192.168.1.1. If this does not work skip to the below section in determining your router address.
- If the computer can connect to the router you should be prompted with a username and password. Often the username is admin and the password is what you chose when setting up the router. If you are not sure try "admin" as both the username and password.
- Finally, if you authorize with the username and password you should see a setup screen similar to the example below that allows you to customize your router.
- Open a command prompt window by clicking Start, Run (or search) and type cmd and press enter.
- At the command prompt type: ipconfig and press enter. You should get information similar to the example below. The Default Gateway is the address of your router.
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd2.ca.comcast.net.
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.135
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1