How do I open a new tab in an Internet browser?
There are different methods of opening a new blank tab or a link in a new tab in Internet browsers. The following sections show you how to do both. To proceed, make your selection from the list below and follow the instructions.
How to open a new blank tab
Each browser has a small icon next to the tab that is farthest to the right in the tab bar. Users may click this icon to open a new tab. Below are examples of what these icons look like in the various browsers.
This method only works in Google Chrome and Opera.
How to open a hyperlink in a new tab
All modern browsers support the ability to open a link in a new tab.
- Open the browser of your choice.
- Locate the link you want to open in a new tab.
- Right-click the link and select Open link in new tab from the drop-down menu that appears.
Other helpful browser tab tricks
- Mistakenly close a tab? Press Ctrl+Shift+T to open the last closed tab. This action can be performed several times to open multiple tabs that were closed.
- Tabs can be arranged by clicking a tab and dragging it to a different location on the tab bar.
- Users may move forward through tabs by pressing Ctrl+Tab, and backward by pressing Ctrl+Shift+Tab.