AutoHotkey is a fantastic free and open source Microsoft Windows tool that allows you to create macros, scripts, and automate frequently performed tasks on your computer. For example, Computer Hope uses this tool daily to help answer common questions asked in e-mail quickly and perform other common repetitive tasks. Below are a few examples of what AutoHotkey can do.
- Create a script or macro that is executed using shortcut keys, hotkeys, joystick, and even mouse clicks.
- Create keywords (hotstring) that expand abbreviations or type out any frequently used response.
- Create custom data-entry forms, user interfaces, and menu bars.
- Create hotkeys for keyboard, joystick, and mouse. Virtually any key, button, or combination can become a hotkey.
- Convert any script into an EXE file that runs on computers without AutoHotkey installed.