Alternatively referred to as a virtual community or profile site, a social network is a website that brings people together to talk, share ideas and interests, or make new friends. This type of collaboration and sharing is known as social media. Unlike traditional media that is typically created by no more than ten people, social media sites contain content created by hundreds or even millions of different people. Below is a small list of some of the biggest social networks used today.
Examples of social networks
- Classmates (http://www.classmates.com/ ) - One of the largest and most used websites for connecting people who graduated from a high school and allows you to keep in touch with them and any future reunions.
- Facebook ( https://www.facebook.com/ ) - The most popular social networking websites on the Internet. Facebook is a popular destination for users to set up personal space and connect with friends, share pictures, share movies, talk about what you're doing, etc.
- Google+ (https://plus.google.com/) - The latest social networking service from Google.
- Instagram ( https://www.instagram.com/ ) - A mobile photo sharing service and application available for the iPhone, Android, and Windows Phone platforms.
- LinkedIn ( https://www.linkedin.com/ ) - One of the best if not the best locations to connect with current and past coworkers and potentially future employers.
- MySpace ( https://myspace.com/ ) - Once one of the most popular social networks and viewed website on the Internet. See the MySpace definition for further information about this service.
- Pinterest ( https://www.pinterest.com/ ) - A popular picture and sharing service that allows anyone to share pictures, create collections, and more.
- Reddit ( https://www.reddit.com/ ) - Community of registered users (redditors) submits content that is upvoted by the community. Reddit has a subreddit (board) for almost every category.
- Mix ( https://mix.com/ ) - Another very popular community of Internet users who vote for web pages they like and dislike. Mix also allows users to create personal pages of interesting sites they come across. See the StumbleUpon definition for additional information about this social network.
- Tumblr ( https://www.tumblr.com/ ) - A microblogging platform with social networking capabilities.
- Twitter ( https://twitter.com/ ) - Another fantastic service that allows users to post 140 character long posts from their phones and on the Internet. A fantastic way to get the pulse of what's going on around the world.
- Yik Yak - Smartphone social network that connects users who are in close proximity to each other.
- YouTube ( https://www.youtube.com/ ) - An excellent network of users posting video blogs or vlogs and other fun and exciting videos.
Warn: Due to their increased popularity amongst children and teenagers, some social networking sites have become a popular location for online predators. Parents should always be active with their children and aware of what they are doing while online.
Why do people use social networks?
Social networks help people keep connected with their friends and family and are an easy way to find what everyone is up to each day in your social circle. Social networks can also be used to find fun and interesting things on the Internet since often your friends and family will share many of the same interests as you.
What is the most popular social network today?
Today, Facebook is still the largest and the most popular social network with over one billion users.
How do I create an account on a social network?
The process to create a new account for a social network differs for each social network. In general, visit the social network website where you want to create a new account and look for a link near the top of the page named "Sign Up," "Create New Account," or something similar.
Follow the account creation steps to create your new account. You will likely need to provide your name, age range, and e-mail address at a minimum. Additional information may be required, depending on the requirements of the social network.
What social networks does Computer Hope use?
We try to be as active as possible on all of the social networks. Below is a list of each of our social network sites.
- Computer Hope on Facebook
- Computer Hope on Twitter
- Computer Hope on Google+
- Computer Hope on Pinterest
- Computer Hope on YouTube