How do I delete an e-mail account or address?
This page details the steps to delete an unused or unwanted e-mail account, not how to remove specific contacts. As you may have guessed, the answer to this question depends on the program you use to send and receive your mail. It should also be noted that with many e-mail services, your account expires if it is not used for an exceptionally long period. To proceed, choose your e-mail client from the list below and follow the instructions.
- Open an Internet browser.
- Type myaccount.google.com into the address bar.
- Type in your account information and click Sign In.
- In the Account preferences section, click Delete your account or services.
- Click the link to Delete products.
- You may also choose the option Delete Google Account and data to wipe out your entire Google account.
- If you are only deleting your Gmail account, this alternative email address becomes your new Google account username.
Note: These instructions only work with Outlook 2007, 2010, and 2013.
- Open Outlook.
- In the upper left-hand corner of the screen, click File.
- In the drop-down menu that appears, click Info, then Account Settings, then Account Settings...
- Outlook 2007 users select Tools, and then Account settings.
Outlook.com (formerly Hotmail)
- Log into your Outlook.com account.
- Click the Gear icon in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.
- In the drop-down menu that appears, select Options.
- Under Managing your account, click Account details (passwords, addresses, time zone).
- In the top of the window that appears, click Security and privacy.
- Under Account security, click Manage advanced security.
- Scroll down the page to locate the Close account link.
- Click the Next button.
- Verify each check box and the reason you're closing your account.
- Click Mark account for closure.
Note: Once you've closed your account, Microsoft will reserve your old email address for 270 days.
Note: If you use a Yahoo! Account Key instead of a password, you must first disable the Account Key. Review this Yahoo support document for more information.
Note: If you have children with Yahoo accounts, and yours is the Parental account, you must close the Child accounts first, and the Parental account after.
- Sign into your Yahoo! e-mail account, if you are not already signed in.
- Visit the Yahoo! Account termination page.
- In the window that appears under Are you sure you want to terminate your Yahoo! Account?, type in your email address.
- Click the Yes, terminate this account button.
Note: You will automatically re-activate your account if you sign into it again within the "hold period" of 40 days. This time period is extended to 90 days in Australia and New Zealand, and 180 days in Brazil and Taiwan. After this hold period, your account and its associated data will be gone.
- Open Thunderbird.
- Near the top-right of the program window, click the Thunderbird Menu icon
- In the menu, click Options then Account Settings.
- On the left-hand side of the screen, select the e-mail address you want to remove.
- Click the Account Actions button.
- In the drop-down menu that appears, select Remove Account.
- When prompted Are you sure you want to remove the account (account name)?, click OK.
- Click OK.