How do I delete an e-mail account or address?
This page details the steps to delete an unused or unwanted e-mail account, not how to remove specific contacts. As you may have guessed, the answer to this question depends on the e-mail client or webmail service you use. It should also be noted that with many e-mail services, your account expires if it is not used for an exceptionally long period. To proceed, choose your e-mail client from the list below and follow the instructions.
- Sign in to My Account.
- On the left side of the screen, select Data and personalization.
- Scroll down to the Download, delete, or make a plan for your data section and click Delete a service or your account.
- Click the link to Delete a service.
- Type in your account password for verification.
- Click the trash icon next to the Gmail option.
- Enter an alternate e-mail address (A) and click Send Verification Email (B).
- If you are only deleting your Gmail account, this alternative e-mail address becomes your new Google account username.
Outlook.com (formerly Hotmail)
Warning: To close an Outlook.com e-mail account, you'll need to delete your entire Microsoft account. All e-mails and contacts will be permanently deleted as well as any associated accounts (e.g., OneDrive, Xbox, Skype, etc.) will no longer be accessible.
- Open an Internet browser.
- Go to the Microsoft Account Closure page.
- Type in your e-mail address and then click the button.
- Type in your password and then click the button.
- If you haven't saved the option previously, you'll be prompted to verify your identity entering the last four digits of the phone number you used to sign up. Once you've entered that information, click button.
- Enter the code and then click the button.
- Go through the bullet points to make sure you have properly prepared to close your account, then click the button.
- You will be prompted to go through a checklist to ensure that you know what you'll lose by closing the account.
- Check the boxes and click the button.
- Click the button.
Note: If you use a Yahoo! account key instead of a password, you must first disable the account key. Review this Yahoo support document for more information.
Note: If you have children with Yahoo accounts, and yours is the Parental account, you must close the Child accounts first, and the Parental account after.
- Visit the Yahoo! account termination page.
- Sign in to verify your Yahoo! e-mail account.
- Read the disclosure, and then click Continue deleting my account at the bottom of the screen.
- In the window that appears, type in your e-mail address and then click the Yes, terminate this account button.
Note: You will automatically re-activate your account if you sign into it again in the "hold period" of 40 days. This time period is extended to 90 days in Australia and New Zealand and 180 days in Brazil and Taiwan. After this hold period, your account and its associated data will be permanently deleted.
Note: These instructions only work with Outlook 2007, 2010, and 2013.
- Open Outlook.
- In the upper-left corner of the screen, click File.
- In the drop-down menu that appears, click Info, then Account Settings, then Account Settings...
- Outlook 2007 users select Tools, and then Account settings.
- Open Thunderbird.
- Near the top-right of the program window, click the Thunderbird menu icon.
- In the menu, click Options then Account Settings.
- On the left side of the screen, select the e-mail address you want to remove.
- Click the Account Actions button.
- In the drop-down menu that appears, select Remove Account.
- When prompted Are you sure you want to remove the account (account name)?, click OK.
- Click OK.
- How can I change my e-mail address?
- How to block an e-mail address.
- How to delete or move e-mail messages.
- How can I get rid of an e-mail contact?
- If I don't use my e-mail, will I lose it?
- How to delete a Google account.
- See the e-mail definition for further information and help.
- E-mail help and support.