How do I delete an e-mail account or address?
This page details the steps to delete an unused or unwanted e-mail account, not how to remove specific contacts. As you may have guessed, the answer to this question depends on the e-mail client or webmail service you use. It should also be noted that with many e-mail services, your account expires if it is not used for an exceptionally long period. To proceed, choose your e-mail client from the list below and follow the instructions.
- Open an Internet browser.
- Type myaccount.google.com into the address bar.
- If you're not already signed in to your Google Account, type in your account information and click Sign In.
- Under the Account preferences section, click Delete your account or services.
- Click the link to Delete products.
- You may also choose the option Delete Google Account and data to wipe out your entire Google account.
- Enter an alternate email address (A) and click Send Verification Email (B).
- If you are only deleting your Gmail account, this alternative email address becomes your new Google account username.
Outlook.com (formerly Hotmail)
Warning: To close an Outlook.com e-mail account, you'll need to delete your entire Microsoft account. This means that all e-mails and contacts will be permanently deleted as well as any associated accounts (e.g. OneDrive, Xbox, Skype, etc.) will no longer be accessible.
- Open an Internet browser.
- Go to the Microsoft Account Closure page.
- If you haven't saved the option previously, you'll be prompted to verify your account information.
- Go through the bullet points to make sure you have properly prepared to close your account, then click the button.
- You will be prompted to go through a checklist to ensure that you know what you'll lose by closing the account.
- Check the boxes and click the button.
Note: If you use a Yahoo! Account Key instead of a password, you must first disable the Account Key. Review this Yahoo support document for more information.
Note: If you have children with Yahoo accounts, and yours is the Parental account, you must close the Child accounts first, and the Parental account after.
- Visit the Yahoo! Account termination page.
- Sign in to verify your Yahoo! e-mail account.
- Read the disclosure, and then click Continue deleting my account at the bottom of the screen.
- In the window that appears, type in your email address and then click the Yes, terminate this account button.
Note: You will automatically re-activate your account if you sign into it again within the "hold period" of 40 days. This time period is extended to 90 days in Australia and New Zealand and 180 days in Brazil and Taiwan. After this hold period, your account and its associated data will be permanently deleted.
Note: These instructions only work with Outlook 2007, 2010, and 2013.
- Open Outlook.
- In the upper left-hand corner of the screen, click File.
- In the drop-down menu that appears, click Info, then Account Settings, then Account Settings...
- Outlook 2007 users select Tools, and then Account settings.
- Open Thunderbird.
- Near the top-right of the program window, click the Thunderbird Menu icon
- In the menu, click Options then Account Settings.
- On the left-hand side of the screen, select the e-mail address you want to remove.
- Click the Account Actions button.
- In the drop-down menu that appears, select Remove Account.
- When prompted Are you sure you want to remove the account (account name)?, click OK.
- Click OK.
- How can I change my e-mail address?
- How to block an e-mail address.
- How to delete or move e-mail messages.
- How can I get rid of an e-mail contact?
- If I don't use my e-mail will I lose it?
- How to delete a Google account.
- See the e-mail definition for further information and help.
- E-mail help and support.