Updated: 01/18/2023 by Computer Hope
F may refer to any of the following:
1. F is an abbreviation for the F programming language.
2. F can be a drive letter in a computer if the computer has multiple hard drives or partitions.
3. F is a keyboard key used with the keyboard shortcuts Alt+F, Command+F, and Ctrl+F.
4. With a regular expression, \f matches a form feed.
5. With Microsoft Excel and other spreadsheet programs, "F" is the sixth column of a spreadsheet. To reference the first cell in the column, you'd use "F1."
6. In Adobe Photoshop, pressing the "F" key switches between the screen modes. These modes are normal, full screen, and full screen with no additional modes. Because there are multiple modes, you may need to press "F" more than once to select the mode you want.
7. In chat, forums, and other text-based communication, "F" is short for the swear word and is said or spammed when something bad happens.
8. In the phonetic alphabet, "F" is often pronounced as "foxtrot."
9. A lowercase f is the SI-derived symbol of the femto- prefix.
10. With days of the week, F is an abbreviation for Friday.
11. F is the sixth letter of the English alphabet. The letter "F" comes after "E" and is followed by the letter "G." To create a capitalized "F," press Shift and F at the same time.
With U.S. QWERTY keyboards, the "F" key is on the home row, to the right of the "D" and left of the "G" key. See our keyboard page for a visual example of all keyboard keys.
In ASCII, the uppercase "F" is "070" in decimal (01000110 in binary). The lowercase "f" is "102" in decimal (01100110 in binary).
Doing the Alt code Alt+70 creates a capital "F" and Alt+102 creates a lowercase "f" character.
The number 3 on a phone keypad is used to create an "F" on a US phone.
Computer abbreviations, Letter