A Home key may refer to any of the following:
1. The Home key is a control key for returning the text cursor to the beginning of the line on which you're currently typing. This key may also move the cursor to the beginning of a document, web page, or cell.
Examples of using the Home key
Below is a list of all of the different ways the Home key can be used on your keyboard. Keep in mind that not all programs use the Home key the same, so not all of these examples work with every program.
- Home - Go to the beginning of the line, paragraph or document.
- Ctrl+Home - Pressing Ctrl and Home at the same time takes you to the very beginning of the text or page. With languages that write left-to-right, pressing Ctrl+Home moves to the top left of the page.
- Shift+Home - Pressing Shift and Home at the same time highlights all text from the current position to the start of the line.
- Ctrl+Shift+Home - Pressing Ctrl, Shift, and Home all at the same time highlights all text from the current position to the beginning of the text or page.
While browsing the Internet pressing the Home key on your keyboard moves to the top of the page.
Where is the Home key on the keyboard?
Apple computer keyboards do not have a Home key on the numeric keypad.
Laptop computer: The location of the Home key on laptops varies from model to model, and some don't even have one. If the keyboard contains a Home key, it will usually be on one of the number or function keys at the top. Also, you may need to use the Fn key and that number or function key at the same time activate it.
Google Chromebook: Chromebooks don't have a Home key, but you can get the same functionality by pressing Shift+Search Key (looks like a magnifying glass)+left arrow key.
Practice using the Home key
What keyboard shortcuts use the Home key?
Below are links to keyboard shortcut keys that use the Home key.
2. On smartphones, the Home key, better known as the home button, allows a user to go to the home screen at any time. The home button is commonly on the front-bottom of the smartphone and may be a depressed circular area, sometimes with a square icon.
3. When referring to multiple keys, Home keys is short for home row keys.