Computer File Help and Support
Updated: 04/01/2018 by Computer Hope
Computer file basics
- What is a file?
- What is a file extension?
- How do I create a computer file?
- How to open and view the contents of a file on a computer.
- How do I list files on the computer?
- How do I copy files?
- How do I move files?
- When I delete a file on my computer, where does it go?
Top file questions and answers
- How do I change the name of a file or folder?
- How to associate a file with a program in Windows.
- How to recover missing, lost, or deleted files.
- How do I determine the size of a file or folder?
- How do I compress or make files into one file?
- How do I select or highlight multiple files?
- How do I password protect my files and folders in Windows?
- How do I view hidden files in Windows?
- In Windows when clicking a program get 'Open With Prompt'.
Computer file extension questions and answers
- What is a file extension?
- How to view a computers file extension.
- Changing a file extension.
- What are the most common file types and file extensions?
- How to create file extensions longer than three characters.
- How to delete all files except files of a certain file extension.
- Listing of computer file extensions.
DLL file related questions and answer
Folder and directory questions and answers
- What is a directory?
- What is a folder?
- How to create a directory or folder.
- How do I delete a file or folder?
- All directory and folder questions and answers.
All other file related questions and answers
- Where should I save files?
- How do you copy files from one drive to another drive?
- What's an easy way to get a line count or other stats of a file?
- What can and cannot be done in a text file?
- Securely delete files with SDelete.
- How to create an empty file.
- How to save a document.
- How do I keep my Windows file listing the same in all windows?
- How do I count how many files are in a folder?
- How to merge or combine multiple files.
- How to combine multiple media files into one file.
- How to create a text file.
- Information on long file names.
- How to create an empty or blank file.
- How to write-protect files and folders.
- How do I copy, move, or rename files with a space in the name?
- How to create a CSV file.
- How to open a CSV file.
- How do I delete hidden files?
- How to delete text in a document.
- How do I hide a file in Windows?
- How do I stop viewing hidden files in Windows?
- Why can I not save a file on my computer?
- What is the difference between a relative and absolute path?
- How to view the last modified date of a file.
- Lost long file names when copying or moving files.
- How can I open an encrypted file or folder?
- How to edit or rename a read-only file.
- How to change the file attributes in Windows.
- All Windows .exe files have changed association.
- Cyclic Redundancy Check or CRC error.