How to use a computer
On this page, we cover and link to pages that help you with setting up your computer, how to use your computer, and everything we believe every computer user should know.
Different types of computers
Understanding the computer
The computer is a fantastic device and knowing how the computer works and how everything works together can help you get a better understanding of the computer.
If you've recently purchased or received a computer before anything can be done, it must be connected and setup. If you need help setting up and turning on your computer, follow the steps in the link below.
Keyboard and mouse basics
With the exception of a tablet and smartphone, all computers have a keyboard and either a mouse or touchpad as input devices. If you are new to the computer and need steps on how to properly use these devices or want to become more proficient at using the devices, review the below documents.
Understanding the operating system
Every computer requires an operating system, which is what allows the software and hardware to communicate with a computer. Understanding what operating system is running on your computer helps you in finding help and know what is compatible with your computer. Become familiar with the operating system and version that is running on your computer.
Create user account
Every computer today can have a computer with multiple user accounts. During the initial setup your computer may have created an account for your, but if you have other users in the home, you may want to create additional accounts for them so they can use the computer.
Installing, Running, and uninstalling a program
- How to install a software program.
- How to run a computer software program.
- How to uninstall a Windows program.
- Top 10 free PC programs everyone should have.
Saving and opening files
While using a computer one of the most common tasks you perform is opening, viewing, and saving files. Below are links to pages that relate to these tasks and steps you can do to perform them.
- How to open and view the contents of a file on a computer.
- How do I create a computer file?
- How do I change the name of a file or folder?
- How to save a document.
How to manipulate the text within a file
While working in a file it may be necessary to manipulate any text that has been created. Below are pages with help in manipulating the text within a file.
- How do I change the font color, size, or type in Word?
- How to highlight text.
- How to copy and paste text.
How to highlight, copy, and move files
After a file has been created it may need to be copied, moved, or renamed. Below are the steps on how to do all of these tasks on your computer.
- How to copy and paste a file.
- How to move files and folders on the computer.
- How to change or rename a file, folder, or directory.
There are millions of settings that can be changed on the computer to make it work better for you. For most computers the majority of these settings are done through the Control Panel.
A peripheral is hardware input device or output device that gives a computer additional functionality. For example, you may want to connect a printer to the computer so you can print hard copies of documents. Steps to install these devices is found on the links below.
- Setting up or installing a computer printer.
- Setting up or connecting a joystick or gamepad.
- How to add new peripherals and hardware.
- List of computer drivers and driver related help.
Connecting to the Internet
Today, the Internet is the most used feature on the computer and is becoming an essential necessity for everyone. If your computer is not yet connected to the Internet see the link below for further information on connecting to the Internet.
The Internet contains an endless amount of information and possibilities below are a few pages that can help with finding information and things to do on the Internet.
- How to find information on the Internet.
- What things to do when bored on the Internet.
- Internet tricks and tips.
After connecting to the Internet, it is also important to be aware of all the potential security threats to you and your computer. Below are links to help inform you of dangers and how to keep safe on the Internet.
- Is online banking safe?
- How can I protect myself while online?
- Preventing unauthorized computer access.
- How can I be anonymous on the Internet?
- How do I know if my computer has been hacked?
- How does a computer get infected with a virus or spyware?
- Protecting children from harmful material and people on the Internet.
Cleaning and maintaining the computer is also another important step in keeping your computer running. See the links below for further information about cleaning a computer and its components.