A folder is a virtual location where programs, files, and other folders can be located. Computers with an Apple, Microsoft Windows, or other GUI operating system have folders to help users store and organize their files and are accessed using a File Manager. The picture shows an example of what a folder with files looks like in Microsoft Windows.
Tip: If you are looking for a program folder, on Windows programs are installed into the program files folder.
Why are folders so boring looking?
Although some operating systems and programs give can change the color of a folder, most folders are boring because they are designed to resemble the yellow folders you find in an office.
- How to create a directory or folder.
- How do I delete a file or folder?
- How do I change directories?
- How to copy a directory or folder.
- How do I change the name of a file or folder?
- What is the difference between a directory and folder?
- How do I count how many files are in a folder?
- How to share a folder or directory in Windows.
- Tip on creating custom folder icons.